09 September 2009

Soup from Squash

So what if it's summer? It's time to make soup and roasted vegetables. There are so many amazing things at the farmer's market here in Göttingen. There is a very popular kind of squash-like pumpkin which is ubiquitous. I bought some last week, cut it in half and roasted it cut side down in the over at 200 C for about half an hour. Served this with pasta-and-tomato-sauce and a salad for some friends. Very easy and delicious farmer's market dinner.

Today I'm going to make some kind of golden-lentil soup using one of these pumpkins. (I roasted it yesterday, scooped out the insides and then put them in the fridge to wait for me to be motivated.) I think I tried something like this earlier in the spring, combining aspects of a lovely recipe for Moroccan lentil soup (from my Canadian friend Carrie who has sadly since left Gö) with some sweet potatoes added.

I haven't made it yet, but I plan on it being delicious.
It will include:

Ginger, Garlic, Onions, minced and sauteed in Olive Oil until soft
Coriander, Cumin, Turmeric and Cayenne and a Bay Leaf added to this and sauteed also for 1/2 a minute or so
(Garam Masala could be used instead of the Coriander and Cumin)
One can of whole, organic tomatoes (plum tomatoes or anything good)
Some yellow lentils and water - choose the amount at your discretion.
When the soup is boiling and lentils are starting to get fluffy I will add the pre-cooked pumpkin/squash
Don't forget to add salt, at the beginning, middle and end (just a little at a time)
Add more water if it seems too thick and lentils aren't done cooking.
When lentils are totally soft, it's done.
Then I'll use my immersion blender (a happy gift to myself for breaking my jaw!)
to make it smooth. Why is smooth soup so much more tasty? It really is.

Love,
Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment