16 February 2009

Sharing the Joy

I have long been an adamant fan of the idea of healthy eating. I inherited this interest from my mother. My current day-dream is to go to grad school and study nutrition so that I can really know what I'm talking about when I talk about cooking and eating well to maintain the health of my body (and your body, and the planet's body). I also love cooking, and have done so for a living more often than I've made a living in my actual "career" as a musician and singer/songwriter.

I am a published cookbook and song writer. My only cookbook publication to date is a self-released work, a collaboration with my musical duo partner, Lisa Bastoni. Our Gray Sky Girls cookbook is full of tasty vegetarian recipes passed down from families or of our own invention. The Gray Sky Girls cookbook also contains hand-made illustrations of the foods, travel tips for musicians and non-musicians, a cartoon of some of our adventures, and other useless, interesting information.

Since Lisa and I printed this cookbook I've wanted to do another. Not as crafty without Lisa's influence, I find myself maintaining the idea but not producing any product.

So, since I love writing stories about myself and the world as I see it, and am passionate about cooking and creating simple, tasty meals with fresh ingredients and the health of the human body and the bodies of all other creatures in mind...I will blog about food. Others do it. Maybe I should not do it! Too many others do it. I am by no means a gourmet. I just know how to make things I like. And I believe that when I buy, eat, cook food I am influencing not just my own few cubic feet of flesh and blood and other stuff, but a much broader and incalculable set of bodies and circumstances. I want to do good in the world by encouraging you to eat well, take care of yourself and others, and make choices at the market, the restaurant, in the kitchen, and at the table, that will help life flourish, not fade.

(Am I being subtle enough? I believe you should eat less meat!! And if you don't believe me, I hope you'll try some of my recipes anyway. And then forget all the meat-recipes you know. Then make up your own recipes, without the meat, pesticides and other crap.)

No comments:

Post a Comment