21 April 2009

Miso-stir-fried Veggies with Roasted Tofu



This is what the dinner looks like on the stove before serving. A pot of brown rice is in the back. I first prepared the tofu and put it in the oven. While it's baking (roasting) I cook the rice, then chop my stir-fry ingredients and cook them. The tofu just needs to be stirred once in awhile. Here is a simple explanation of what I did:

For the Tofu:
1. Open one package of firm tofu, press it between two plates with a tea kettle on top to squeeze out some water
2. Whisk in a bowl: 4 tbsp. soy sauce, 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tbsp. sesame oil, 2 tbsp. maple syrup, 2 or 3 chopped cloves of garlic.
3. Chop the tofu into even sized little square pieces (first chop the block of tofu in half in both directions, then into 3rds and so on)
4. Drop the chopped tofu in the bowl. Stir. Pour contents of the bowl into a baking dish.
5. Bake for about 45 minutes, stirring every 10 or so? at 175 C or 375 F.

For the Stir-Fry:
1. Chop a few cloves of garlic and an equal amount of fresh ginger root.
2. Heat some oil in the pan (I use olive oil because I'm too cheap to buy another kind and I can use olive oil for everything. But I don't Stir-fry this in the traditional way: I don't make the heat very high. I "Slow-Stir-Fry" at a lower heat so that I can chop things as I go, and so that I don't burn the oil, and because I don't have a good wok and my pan kind of sucks.)
3. Add garlic and ginger and cook carefully so not to burn. Soon add chopped onions & scallions if you have some fresh.
4. Meanwhile chop: half a small head of red cabbage, one very fat carrot (or two small ones). The snow peas I just washed and removed the tough-stem end.
5. First I added the carrots and cabbage. When they'd gotten a bit more colorful and fried, I added some miso broth and some soy sauce. (I heated some water in a kettle and dissolved about 2 tbsp. of dark miso paste in a bowl. This is what I added to the pan with my vegetables.) I covered the pan and let this cook for awhile. When it was nearly done (the carrots and cabbage just little tender), I added the snow peas and a handful of frozen green peas. I also added a little bit of red wine at some point. Then I removed the lid and cooked off the liquid.

Now my tofu is done, vegetables done, & brown basmati rice too. I scoop some rice into a wide bowl and put the veggies and tofu on top. Everything gets eaten together and tastes so good!

1 comment: